Weed growing kits can be a saving grace for people who are looking to grow their own weed at home. Unlike professional weed growers, most of us have limited space and ensuring that all conditions for growing this plant are met can be difficult.
Professional weed growers have space, the conditions and the proper equipment to do it. Yet to grow weed at home is not completely impossible since by getting a weed growing kit, you can make your life much easier and still enjoy the benefits of your own work. You can even dry your weed at home!
If you were looking for a way to start growing your own weed of preferring strain or hybrid, bear with us and we will guide you through the process. Whether you are looking to build your own kit or choose one of the existing ones on the market, we got you covered!
Keep in mind that being a beginner grower who wants to build their own weed-growing conditions might prove to be a great challenge and it might be difficult to get it right straight off. That’s why we will explore all the options and let you decide if you are ready to make such move or simply just purchase a pre-made weed growing kit.
But Where to Start
Making a decision to grow your own weed is the first step towards achieving it. But after the enthusiasm of “Yes, I’m going to do it” wears off, a pile of questions comes to your head that you might not have an answer for. Luckily, you have your friend the Internet and you have us!
Growing weed at home via Smart Home Keeping
So where do you start? Space? Light? Conditions? It seems like there are so many questions that demand a quick answer!
Growing Space and Conditions
Obviously, space, where you are going to grow your sweet weed, is the most important thing that it will determine what sort of weed growing kit you need.
So first, are you going to grow your weed indoors or outdoors?
Growing weed at home via Cloudponics
What most people decide to go for is a growing tent. It seems like the most reasonable and most subtle way of growing weed, yet you still need to dedicate a decent amount of space for it.
Building your own growing tent is not impossible, yet it will take a lot of muscle work. Here’s what you need to be aware of:
- You would need to install glow lights, so if you are building your own grow tent you will need to drill into the ceiling to install these lights
- Keep in mind that you need to add reflective material on the sides of your growing tent – this isn’t a very hard thing to do but it is a crucial step that you must not skip
- Growing weed at home also requires ventilation so that would need to be done through installing pipes to the window – bear in mind that this might be problematic with the neighbors
- You need to ensure the perfect growing temperature and humidity
A weed growing kit in a form of a growing tent can spare you the trouble of building the needed growing conditions from scratch if you don’t feel like it. Here are the pros of opting in for a growing tent:
- They are pre-built to ensure the optimal weed growing conditions
- They have built-in vents so you don’t have to worry about mounting pipes and assembling a ventilation system
- Due to their limited size, you can control conditions like humidity and temperature easier
- They come with built-in lights so that will spare you the trouble of drilling and mounting lights to the ceiling if you decided to grow weed indoors in a room
If you are not familiar with what a canopy means, you need to understand that because it is a crucial element in determining how to reach the optimal conditions for growing your weed. The canopy refers to the area where the weed plants are positioned and where they grow.
Canopy via Thrash Lab
In other words, the part of the room where the plants are is what makes the canopy, while the rest of the room is referred to as the growing room. This means that if you grow your weed in a tent, for example, the canopy will closely match the growing room. If, on the other hand, you decide to build your own weed growing kit by dedicating a room to it, the canopy will be significantly smaller when compared to the growing room.
Determining the canopy area is the most important thing for ensuring good lighting.
Amount of Light
Light plays a crucial role in the weed growing process. There are different types of lights you can go for – UV, HPS, MH, and CMH lights – but whichever type you choose you need to make sure that it is enough to support the growth process in order to ensure a successful harvest.
Weed Growing Kit via Denver Party Ride
It is true that the cannabis plant needs a good amount of light in order to grow to its full potential. However, that does not necessarily mean that you need to go wild and get the biggest and brightest lights you can find. This, again, depends on the canopy area and the amount of weed you are going to grow there.
To ensure you got things right, you need to calculate watts your canopy requires.
Calculate the surface you need to cover with the lights in square feet. For every square foot, you need to dedicate around 65 watts. Multiply the two numbers and there you have it!
Types of Light
- HID lights, including HPS, MH, and CMH – these lights give out a light spectrum which is the closest to the Sun rays. In that sense, plants like natural sunlight and such lights can support the growth of the marijuana plant in a good way. However, the problem that you might face with these lights is that they will also emit a fair amount of heat. If you decide to go any type of HID light, be prepared to carry out regular temperature checks because you really don’t want to dry your plants out or burn the flowers.
- LED lights – these light provide a mixture of UV and IR waves which are beneficial from growing strong and high-quality plants. While they really are useful for the plants, the intensity of the waves can hurt the plants if they are positioned too close. If you decide to go for LED lights, you need to make sure that they are sitting high up in relation to the weed plants, otherwise, you might be doing more damage than good. Also, LED lights to come at a high price so if they are your item of choice you need to be prepared to pay much more than you would for HID lights.
- Fluorescent grow lights– these lights do not produce a lot of heat which is good on one hand, but on the other hand, they are low-intensity lights meaning that you would need more light to ensure proper growth. Choose fluorescent lights only if you have a decent amount of space where to place them.
Air Flow and Temperature
When growing your own weed, you need to ensure proper air flow and air temperature in order to achieve optimal results.
Weed grows best at room temperature, so not too hot and not too cold. However, you need to bear in mind that the lights will make the temperature rise, so you need to keep the temperature in the room lower to allow this without consequences.
Proper ventilation is crucial for photosynthesis. If there is too much stale air in the room the growth process might be compromised and the end product will not be what you are hoping for.
Uninterrupted air circulation is crucial for growing strong branches and ensuring no mold and mildew is building up on your plant.
Now when you know all of the things that it takes to make your own growing station, it is time to decide if you are willing to do it all by yourself or simply opt-in for a weed growing kit.
The truth is, weed growing kit can provide you with the same results but only half the hassle. If you are ready to take on one such step and never buy marijuana again but rather grow it yourself, here are some of the best weed growing kits available on the market!
The Bud Grower
The Bud Grower via BudGrower
The Bud Grower is a complete weed growing kit that comes with all of the things you need. This is meant to be used indoors so the dimensions are just right not to take up too much space, yet normally you can’t grow large quantities.
As stated on the manufacturers’ website, this weed growing kit comes with a lot of things:
- Hulk Grow Ten – 24″X 24″X 62″
- 150-Watt HPS Grow Light Unit
- Kind Soil = 5lb (Super Soil)
- FoxFarm Coco Loco Soil (20lbs bag)
- 4 Adjustable Rope Clip Hanger
- Two Germination Kit with Humidity Dome
- 5 Gallon Grow Fabric Pots
- 3 Gallon Grow Fabric Pots
- 6″ Heavy Duty Clip-On Fan
- 4″ by 8 Feet Steel Ducting
- 4″ by 16 Feet Steel Ducting
- 4″ Steel Duct Clamps – 3 Clamps
- 4″ Duct Inline Fan with Variable Speed Controller
- 4″ AirCarbon Filter Odor Control-Reversible Flange
- Brahma Leather Gloves
- 24 Hour Grow Timer
- 6-Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip
- Indoor Humidity Monitor with Periscope Monitor
- Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Scissors
- Plant Saucers – 14″ Heavy Duty
- Plant Saucers – 10″ Heavy Duty
- Garden LECA Expanded Clay Pebbles
- Hydroponics Rapid Rooter (6-Count)
- Fermenting Mason Jars – 36oz
You might think it is quite pricey – it costs around $600 but you truly have everything you need in the package.
TopoGlow via Amazon
The TopoGrown weed growing kit comes at several different light variation versions which also differ in sizes. They are available in a range between 300W and 1200W.
The 300W weed growing kit is available at a price of around $250, making it more affordable when compared to the previous kit.
Some of the specs of this weed growing kit are:
- LED 300W Grow light: 100PCS x 3W LEDs
- 2 cooling fans
- 96% highly reflective waterproof diamond Mylar
- Heavy-duty 600D lightproof oxford cloth
- 16MM white paint coated metal rods and 16MM plastic corners
5 inches Carbon Layer
- Fan: 120V60HZ; 101Watt; 0.86A; 2850RPM; 189CFM
- 4″ Double layer duct φ4″ * 25FT
Gorilla Grow Tent
Gorilla Grow Tent via Amazon
The Gorilla weed growing kit comes at different sizes and different light capacities depending on what you need. They all share roughly the same characteristics, yet depending on the size, the capacity of the light and ventilation are increasing.
Let’s take a look for example at the 5 x 5 tent which comes at a price of almost $400.
Here are the specs:
- Dimensions: 5’x5’x6’11”
- Height w/ Extension Kit: 7’11”
- Height w/ 2 ft. Extension Kit: 8’11”
- Weight: 66 lbs.
- Canvas Density: 1680D
- Pole Diameter: 22mm
- Door Quantity: 3
- Ducting Port Quantity: 6 (11″ Double Cinching)
- Electrical Port Quantity: 3 (3″)
The Gorilla Grow Tents as manufacturers really offer a wide range of options and if you are considering getting one, it is worth checking out the variants the offer.
Growing weed at home doesn’t need to be complicated if you decided to treat yourself with a weed growing kit. With one such kit, you won’t need to worry about drilling and calculating the amount of light and ventilation you need since it is all calculated for you.
Feeling ready to start your weed-growing journey? Here’s a video to get you to a good start!